Adults have opportunity to serve as 4-H camp counselors

-A A +A

On March 9, 2012, President Obama declared six Indiana Counties as disaster areas due to damages and losses caused by severe storms, tornadoes and straight-line winds that occurred from Feb. 29 through March 3.

As a result of the declaration, six Kentucky counties were named as contiguous counties where eligible family farmers may qualify for FSA EM loan assistance pursuant to Section 321(a) of the Consolidated Farm and Rural Development Act. 

These counties are Carroll, Daviess, Henderson, Jefferson, Oldham and Trimble.

EM loan applications for physical and production losses will be received through Nov. 9 and applications pending on that date may be processed and completed.

Farmers interested in applying for assistance should contact the local FSA office at (502) 732-6931.

4-H Camp counselor opportunities

4-H Camp, set for July 2-5, is not only an opportunity for young people to experience the wonder and fun 4-H has to offer, but it also provides leadership development for adults and 14-17 year olds.

Adult counselors are vital to 4-H Camp. ACs, for short, must be 18 years old or older and attend camp at no cost. ACs are assigned with supervising 15-20 campers, aged 9-13.

All potential adult counselors must complete and pass a volunteer packet, including a background check, in order to qualify for the position.  If you are a parent with children going to 4-H Camp, and you wish to become an adult counselor, one of your children will attend 4-H Camp for free.

Remember, AC spots are limited, so do not miss out on this opportunity.
Teen counselors (ages 15-17) and Counselors-in-Training (Age 14) assist adult counselors and camp staff with a wide variety of tasks.

From assisting in classes and games to helping supervise campers, teen counselors and CITs are valuable assets to the camp experience.  Both TCs and CITs attend camp at a discounted cost of $80.

There are a limited number of counselor positions, and they will be filled on a first-come, first-serve basis, provided each person successfully completes the application process. All counselors must attend a counselor training in June. If you cannot attend this training, you cannot be a 4-H Camp counselor.

Applications for each of the three counselor positions can be picked up at the Carroll County Extension Office.

They must be returned to the Extension office by May 16. For more information on becoming a 4-H camp counselor, contact the Extension office at (502) 732-7030.

Dates of interest

March 29: Private Pesticide Applicator Certification, 1 p.m. or 6:30 p.m., Carroll County Extension Office. RSVP to the Extension office by March 28.

March 30: Second Ranking Period Cut-Off Date for NRCS Sign Ups (EQIP, Hoop Houses, and On-Farm Energy Initiatives).

April 4: Agricultural Development Council Meeting, 8 p.m., Carroll County Extension Service.

June 1: Deadline for FSA Sign Ups (DCP and ACRE Programs).

June 1: Final Cut-Off Date for NRCS Sign Ups (EQIP, Hoop Houses, and On-Farm Energy Initiatives).


Christin Herbst is the Carroll County Extension agent for agriculture and natural resources. Call her at (502) 732-7030 or send e-mail to Christin.Herbst@uky.edu.