Applications for 4-H camp counselors are due today

-A A +A

Potential counselors, today is the deadline to get in your application for 4-H Camp to the Carroll County Extension Office.  Counselors include:  Adults, ages 18 and over; teen, ages 15 to 17; counselor-in-training, age 14.  There are a limited number of positions, so contact the Extension Office at (502) 732-7030 if you are interested.

The deadline for camper applications is May 30.  Spots are filling up quickly!  4-H Camp is a four-day, three-night camp held on July 2-5, 2012.

The Carroll County Conservation District will accept requests for cost share funding under the Kentucky Soil Erosion and Water Quality Cost Share and Environ-mental Steward-ship Program through June 15.          

State cost-share program announced

The Kentucky Soil Erosion and Water Quality Cost-Share Program and the Environmental Stewardship Program were created to help agricultural operations protect the soil and water resources of Kentucky. These programs were established by the Kentucky General Assembly in 1994 and 2000; in the past 17 years the programs have existed,  about $120 million has been approved to plan, design and install much-needed best-management practices on about 14,200 farms to protect soil resources and water quality. 

These annual cost share funds are administered by conservation districts with priority given to animal waste related problems and agricultural district participants where pollution problems have been identified. Initial funding for the program will be provided by the Kentucky Department of Agriculture and now also utilizes the Tobacco Master Settlement Agreement Funds.

These programs are administered at the state level by the Soil and Water Conservation Commission and the Kentucky Division of Conservation, located in Frankfort. Applications are ranked statewide and approved for funding based on available funds.

For more information stop by the conservation district office located at USDA/NRCS Service Center, 1802 Highland Avenue, Carrollton. For more information, call (502) 732-6098 or 732-0070, Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. 

Dates of interest

May 16:4-H Camp Counselor (adult, teen, counselor-in-training) applications due to the Carroll County Extension Office.

May 21:Carroll County Cattlemen’s Association Meeting, 6:30 p.m., Carroll County Extension Office. Dr. Ray Smith, University of Kentucky Extension Forage Specialist, will be in attendance, speaking on topics related to forage production.

May 28: Extension Office is closed for Memorial Day.

May 30: 4-H Camp camper applications due to the Carroll County Extension Office.

May 31: First 4-H Camp Camper Orientation, 6 p.m., Carroll County Extension Office. All 4-H Campers must attend one of the two camper orientations in order to attend 4-H Camp. Class signups will also take place.  The second orientation will be held June 19.

June 1: Deadline for FSA Sign Ups (DCP and ACRE Programs).

June 1: Final Cut-Off Date for NRCS Sign Ups (EQIP, Hoop Houses, and On-Farm Energy Initiatives).


Christin Herbst is the Carroll County Extension agent for agriculture and natural resources. Call her at (502) 732-7030 or send e-mail to Christin.Herbst@uky.edu.