Championship pits Bengals against Cowboys

-A A +A
By The Staff


Special to The Trimble Banner

The championship of the Trimble County Flag Football League was held Nov. 1, with the Bengals facing the Cowboys.

The Bengals first play from the line of scrimmage had Duncan Ralston rumble for 10 yards, followed by a nice 25-yard gain by Grant Weaver. Quarterback Dane Lacefield punched it in from the 5 yard line for the first score of the game. Weaver then scampered in for the extra point to make it 7-0 Bengals.

The Cowboys then got their first shot at a touchdown.

The team made several good gains, but the Bengals tightened up their defense and made a goal line stand. Several big stops were made by Trenton Stockdale that led to the Cowboys turning it over on downs.

The Bengals started off at their own 5. A 25-yard run was nullified by a penalty that took the ball back and pinned the team deep in their own territory. Several stops by the Cowboys forced the Bengals to punt.

The Cowboys took over and some big runs by Gabe Monroe and Logan Rogers sent the Cowboys deep into Bengal territory. A screen pass from Jacob Kemble to Logan Rogers went for a touchdown. The attempt at the extra point was stopped by Mathew Fessenden, leading to a 7-6 Bengals score.

The Bengals took over and a 20-yard run by Lacefield had the team threatening, but with the clock winding down the Cowboys made two big stops and time ran out.

A great defensive battle had the Bengals leading 7-6 at the half.

In the second half, the Cowboys started off their first drive with some tough running by Monroe that set up a short 2-yard touchdown by Rogers. The extra point failed as Fessenden came up with another stop to put the Cowboys up 12-7.

The Bengals started their next drive with a 13-yard run by Ralston. Weaver followed with an 18-yard run and a personal foul on the Cowboys put the ball on the 4 yard line. Lacefield took the snap and went around the right for the score and Ralston followed with a run for the extra point to make the score 14-12 in the Bengals’ favor.

A pair of 10-yard runs by Rogers and Kemble had the Cowboys marching down the field. Eventually Monroe took it in from the 10 to put the Cowboys up. A pass for the extra point was knocked down. The Cowboys led 18-14.

The Bengals then struck quickly. After a 10-yard run by Lacefield, he took the snap from Adam McKinley and with some good blocking by Rebecca Barrera and Gavin Murray, took the ball 30 yards for the score. The extra point failed but the Bengals led 20-18.

The Cowboys took over with 1:30 on the clock. They had several good runs but Fessenden and Stockdale continued to make pivotal plays and stop their drive. The Cowboys eventually made it down inside the 15-yard line of the Bengals but an illegal procedure call pushed them back to the 18-yard line. With four seconds remaining, Rogers took it to the right and made it to the 8-yard line when Lacefield came up with the stop as time ran out to preserve the Bengals victory.

Coaches for the Bengals expressed their sincere appreciation Midway and Bedford Stop-N-Go for their continued support of the flag football team.