Cost-share funding topic of May 19 forum

-A A +A

Tomorrow night, the Governor’s Office of Agricultural Policy is hosting a forum about the future of investments by the Kentucky Agricultural Development Fund (the cost-share money).

This is the first of several forums around the state. It will be held from 7-8:30 p.m. at the Thomas D. Clark Center for Kentucky History in Frankfort. A carpool will leave the Extension office at 5:30 p.m. to attend.

Extension Fair

The Carroll County Extension Service is hosting an Extension Fair Saturday, May 21, at the Extension office. The Cooperative Extension Service has been serving Carroll County since 1917 and yet many ask, what is that you do?

We hope the fair will answer a few questions. We will have 12 stations, along with the opening day of the RiverView Farmers Market.

There will be a free lunch for those visiting the information stations and turning in a completed information card.

Carroll County Fair

The Carroll County Fair kicks off June 2 and will run through June 11. We will be receiving 4-H and open-class entries from
9 a.m. to noon, Thursday, June 2. I understand that we will have a different carnival this year, plus all of the other outstanding events the fair board hosts. The fair has a Facebook page, and Hayley Franklin is posting a lot of information about the pageants on her page.

Fair catalogs will be available May 25 from selected locations.

Pasture walks

The Eden Shale Grazing Network is hosting its first pasture walk of the summer at 6:30 p.m. June 2 at the Eden Shale Research Farm in Owen County. The walk will last until dusk. There is a pasture walk planned for every month through the fall.

A pasture walk is stroll through a pasture to discuss what we see: the current state of the pasture, weed pressures and types of weeds, damage from insects and other pests. We then help determine what management decisions are needed.

FSA deadlines

The Carroll, Trimble and Gallatin FSA office has asked me to remind producers of the upcoming deadlines. May 31 is the deadline for reporting wheat on crop reports. June 1 is the deadline for signing the 2011 DCP contracts. July 15 is the deadline for reporting the remainder of all crops. (Crops must be in the ground before they can be reported because we require the planting date).

The FSA office is located at 1800 Highland Avenue in Carrollton. Contact them at (502)732-6931 or toll-free 1-866-470-6779.

4-H Camp

Carroll County is going to 4-H Camp July 18-21. The camp fee this year is $165 and it must be paid before leaving for camp.

I have been telling the kids that we will work with parents if they need to pay in installments for camp. Your space is not held unless you have paid for camp. Applications are available at the Extension Office, 500 Floyd Drive, Carrollton.


Tim Hendrick is the Carroll County Extension agent for agriculture and natural resources. Call him at (502) 732-7030 or send e-mail to tim.hendrick@uky.edu.