Farm Service Agency sign-ups underway for area farm owners

-A A +A

Your local Carroll-Gallatin-Trimble County Farm Service Agency office has the following announcements:

• The Direct and Counter Cyclical Payment Program (DCP/ grain base) has been extended for another year. Signups started on Feb. 19 and will end on Aug. 2.

• Farm owners, if you have changed or added new producers for 2013, please notify the FSA office at (502) 732-6931 or stop by the office at 1800 Highland Avenue in Carrollton.

• If farmland changes ownership, the new owners need to bring their deed to our office in order to obtain their farm serial number. The farm serial number is a requirement for participating in many farm benefit programs.

• Recording a farm’s annual crop report is a very important part of the FSA. By reporting your crops, you establish a farm history that may be required for participation in future farm programs.  Also, if you have crop insurance, it is essential to timely file an accurate crop certification. You must complete your crop report after your crops are in the ground and before July 15.

Energy efficiency
awareness programs

In today’s time, it is important to think about the energy we use in terms of how to conserve that energy and properly manage its use. As a result, we can see returns that not only help our environment, but also help our pocketbook.

Two programs are taking place in March to provide energy information, conservation tips, and instruction on how to use a free, online energy self-assessment tool.

At 6:30 p.m., March 5,  homeowners are invited to attend “Living Better through Home Energy Management.”

At noon on March 12, business owners are invited to attend “Control Overhead through Business Energy Management,” which will be presented at the monthly membership meeting of the Carroll County Chamber of Commerce.  Both programs will take place at the Carroll County Extension Office.

Each tool is different and specific for either homeowners or business owners. It is also a great way to benchmark your energy use, and learn if there are opportunities for improvement.

Dates of Interest

March 5:Living Better through Home Energy Management, 6:30 p.m., Carroll County Extension Office.

March 6:Carroll County Agricultural Development Council Meeting, 7 p.m., Carroll County Extension Office.

March 12:Control Overhead through Business Energy Management, noon, Carroll County Extension Office.

March 14:BQA Certification, 6:30 p.m., Carroll County Extension Office.

March 19:Extension District Board Meeting, 5 p.m., Carroll County Extension Office.

March 19:County Extension Council Meeting, 7 p.m., Carroll County Extension Office.


Christin Herbst is the Carroll County Extension agent for agriculture and natural resources. Call her at (502) 732-7030 or send e-mail to Christin.Herbst@uky.edu.