- Special Sections
- Public Notices
This week is full of neat agriculture-related events in and around the county. Here’s a preview of what is to come:
A taste of the RiverView Farmer’s Market
The RiverView Farmers Market is open two days a week during the growing season. Times are on Wednesdays, 2-5 p.m., at Point Park and Saturdays, 8 a.m.-noon at the Hometown Pizza parking lot.
This week, I will be out at the Farmer’s Market on both days, providing information about a staple in the summer garden: tomatoes.
Come on down to the farmer’s market and sample a Kentucky Proud recipe, Tomato and Bacon Dip, featuring tomatoes from our local producers.
Kentucky Forage and Grassland Council Field Day
This year’s Kentucky Forage and Grassland Council (KFGC) Field Day will be held on Thursday, Aug. 1 at Rivercrest Farm, 1904 Mayo Lane, Prospect, Ky.
Registration begins at 3 p.m. Tours and talks include:
•Using Warm Season Annual Forages, Dr. Garry Lacefield, UK Extension Forage Specialist.
• Forages and Tips for Pasture Poultry Production, Dr. Tony Pescatore, UK Extension Poultry Professor.
• Pasture Seeding and Establishment Methods, Kurt Mason, NRCS District Conservationist.
• Opportunities with Eastern Gamagrass, Tommy Yankey, Anderson County Extension Agriculture Agent.
• Hay Quality and Hay Testing, Dr. Tom Keene, UK Extension Hay Marketing Specialist.
Dinner will be at 6 p.m. and the presentation will be on Making Forages Work on Your Farm by Dr. Garry Lacefield.
Rivercrest Farm is owned and operated by Caldwell Willig and Danny Jacobs. They raise Angus-Tarentaise cross cattle, free range laying hens, pasture poultry, and meat rabbits.
First Friday will be held on Friday, Aug. 2 in downtown Carrollton. This event will focus on a summertime favorite: watermelon.
Joyce, Grace and I will all be present providing information about watermelons. Specifically, Joyce and I will talk about growing and washing watermelon to eat, and Grace will focus on other nutritional aspects and provide watermelon recipes.
We look forward to seeing you there!
Eden Shale Field Day
and Open House
The Kentucky Cattlemen’s Association will be hosting a field day at the Eden Shale Farm in Owen County on Saturday, Aug. 3.
Registration begins at 9 a.m. at the farm, located at 245 Eden Shale Road, Owenton, Ky.
Presentation topics include:
• Repurposing Buildings for Winter Feeding, Dr. Steve Higgins, University of Kentucky.
• Introduction to Graze 300 Program & Demonstration of Managing Around Fescue Toxicosis, Dan Miller (Kentucky Beef Network), Dr. Jeff Lehmkuhler (University of Kentucky), and Glen Aiken (USDA ARS Forage Research Division).
• Portable Shade Structures for Pastures, Dr. Steve Higgins, University of Kentucky.
• Weed Control for Pastures, Dave Owens and Jeff Clark, Dow AgroSciences.
Please RSVP by Aug. 1 to the Kentucky Cattlemen’s Association office, (859) 278-0899, or the Owen County Extension Office, (502) 484-5703.
For more information on these events, contact your Carroll County Cooperative Extension Service at (502) 732-7030.
Christin Herbst is the Carroll County Extension agent for agriculture and natural resources. Call her at (502) 732-7030 or e-mail Christin.Herbst@uky.edu.