.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Juvenile hospitalized with burns, family loses home to stove fire

-A A +A
By Kristin Beck

A 5-year-old boy suffered second and third degree burns after his great-grandmother’s house caught fire Jan. 4.

Caleb Robertson was airlifted by STATFlight to Cincinnati Children’s Hospital and then transferred to the burn unit at Shriner’s Hospitals for Children, friend and neighbor Keith Couch said. Robertson suffered second-degree burns to his hands and feet and third-degree burns to his face and head. He is on a ventilator but has been doing better, Couch said. The swelling is going down, and doctors are planning on performing a skin craft this week, he said.

Worthville Volunteer Fire Department and Ghent Fire Protection District were dispatched at 11:21 p.m. Jan. 4 to 56 Crescent Court in Worthville, owned by Mary Robertson, Caleb’s great-grandmother. A Westside Volunteer firefighter was driving down Hwy. 227 and witnessed the house fire and called Carroll County Dispatch, Worthville Fire Chief Ernie Courtney said. The firefighter and two others from Westside, who lived nearby, also responded to the house fire.

Courtney said the fire was fully involved upon arrival. He advised dispatch at 12:43 a.m. that the fire was under control, but the house was a total loss. The fire started in the middle of the home and was caused by a wood burning stove, he said.

The family is staying with Mary’s older son, who lives next door in a trailer, Couch said.

 

Clothing, household items needed

The family did not have home insurance and lost all of their possessions, Couch said.

The following are the clothing sizes for the family members living in the home:

Mary Robertson – Size XXL women’s tops; 14-16 pants; 8 1/2 shoes

Wade Robertson – Size large men’s tops; 32/36 pants; 11-12 shoes

N.J. Robertson (2-year-old girl) – Size 3T girls tops and pants; 5 shoes; 3-4 Pull Ups

Caleb Robertson (5-year-old boy) – Size 7-8 tops; 7 pants; 13 1/2 – 14 1/2 shoes

Any kitchenware or other household goods also are needed, Couch said. The family also would appreciate the use of a backhoe to clean up the remnants of their home, he said.

Donations can be dropped off at the Northern Kentucky Community Action Center, located at 1302 Highland Ave. in Carrollton.

 

Karaoke benefit

Worthville Volunteer Fire Department is hosting a karaoke benefit Jan. 25 for the Robertson family. The event is 6-10 p.m. at the firehouse, located at 446 Hwy. 467 in Worthville. Admission is $3, and hot dogs, popcorn and soft drinks will be sold.