-A A +A

Man arrested for assault at Super 8; Tingle death attributed to heart disease

By Sharon Graves

A 23-year-old Carrollton man was arrested Dec. 10 after witnesses reported seeing him beat and choke a woman in the hallway of the Super 8 motel.

Greg Carlton of Sixth Street was charged with one count of first-degree unlawful imprisonment, a Class D felony; fourth-degree assault with minor injury, a Class A misdemeanor; and was cited with alcohol intoxication in a public place. He is being lodged in the Carroll County Detention Center on a $5,000 cash bond.

If convicted on the Class D felony, Carlton faces one to five years in prison and a fine of $1,000 to $10,000. Conviction on the misdemeanor charge carries a penalty of up to one year in prison. The citation usually carries a $25 fine.

Kentucky State Police Trooper Jermaine Kilgore and Trooper Rick Ellis responded to a call at the motel, located near the Interstate 71 interchange on State Hwy. 227 in Carroll County, about 7 a.m.

Kilgore reported that, upon arrival, he detected a strong odor of alcohol on Carlton, and that Carlton’s speech was slurred and his eyes were bloodshot.

According to KSP, the motel had security video showing Carlton punching, kicking and choking his girlfriend, Amber Hern, in the hallway. Several witnesses also observed the attack on Hern.

Court records show Carlton was served with three orders of protection requested by three other women since 2004. A protective order against Carlton also was granted to Hern.

Carlton’s record also includes citations for multiple traffic violations, alcohol intoxication and disorderly conduct. Additionally, he had been convicted on a charge of unlawful taking over $300, a Class D felony, a crime which carries a sentence of one to five years in prison.

Tingle's death attributed to heart disease

The coroners report into the death of Ronald Dean Tingle, 50, has been received and heart disease is listed as the main cause of death.

Carroll County Coroner David Wilhoite said that it is unclear if Tingle knew he had hardening of the arteries and was not taking medication for the illness. “There were minor amounts of drugs in Tingle’s system, but that was not a contributing factor in his death,” Wilhoite said.

Tingle died Nov. 21 at the home of Matt Vories on Highway 36 East at approximately 11 p.m.

Tingle’s body was transported to an independent medical examiner’s office in Louisville, Ky for an autopsy and toxicology report.