Sanders man charged with threatening a witness

-A A +A
By Sharon Graves

A Sanders man was arrested Thursday, July 2 for intimidating a participant in legal process, a class D felony, and second-degree wanton endangerment, a class A misdemeanor.

The arrest warrant for Michael Taulbee, 20, of McDaniel Street, states he used physical force or threat of force by running Stephanie Granger off the road. In the act of running Granger off the road, the warrant states he engaged in conduct, which created a substantial danger to another.

Taulbee was in District Court before Judge Thomas Funk on Thursday, July 16 and pleaded not guilty to both charges and his $5,000 cash bond was reduced to $5,000 surety or $1,500 cash. Restrictions including being placed on house arrest and to have no contact with the victim were also a condition of the bond. Taulbee was still housed in the Carroll County Detention Center by press time on Tuesday.  His next scheduled court date is Thursday, July 30.

Taulbee has another open case against him with multiple offenses dated May 5 of this year that Carroll County Sheriff Ben Smith says is related.  Taulbee was charged with leaving the scene of an accident/failure to render aid or assistance, alcohol intoxication first and second offense, second-degree disorderly conduct, second-degree fleeing or evading police on foot, resisting arrest, third-degree criminal mischief and third degree terroristic threatening, according to reports.

In the report filed by Carroll County Sheriff’s Deputy Travis Price on the May case, Taulbee was allegedly involved in a hit and run near Highways 467 and 227.  The victim in that case gave a description of the vehicle to Price who followed a trail of leaking radiator fluid to a barn located on property near Interstate 71 on Highway 227.  Price found a vehicle that was registered to Taulbee that was still warm with front-end damage and paint transfer that matched the victim’s car.  

Price was next called out to a domestic argument in front of the post office on Highway 467 in Worthville involving Taulbee and a girlfriend and, according to Price’s report, he took off on foot.  Price states he ordered Taulbee to stop, but he did not.  Price found Taulbee hiding in branches and tall grass and when he again ordered him to come out he would not comply.  Taulbee attempted to run again when Price tried to handcuff him, and Price was forced to use his taser to subdue Taulbee, according to the report.

Once in Price’s cruiser, Taulbee began hitting his head on the window separating the front from the back seats and threatening Price and a citizen who was assisting Price, according to the report. Price also stated Taulbee was manifestly under the influence, had a strong odor of alcohol, slurred speech, was unstable on his feet and had blood shot eyes.  

The report continues that Taulbee was belligerent with the staff at the Carroll County Detention Center and with an EMS crew who tried to check him out following the tasing.