- Special Sections
- Public Notices
The community is invited to tour the Camp Kysoc facility Saturday, Nov. 13, at the former Easter Seals facility at 1902 Easterday Road.
The Save Camp Kysoc committee will be hosting a 50th anniversary celebration at the camp from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Everyone is invited to join former campers and staff members for a day of reminiscing about camp experiences from years past.
Camp tours will be conducted from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. for those who are not familiar with the facility and its amenities. Save Camp Kysoc committee members will be on hand throughout the day to share information about future plans to reopen the facility. Hot dogs, chips and drinks will be served from 3 to 5 p.m. A campfire is tentatively planned from 6 to 8 p.m. around which longtime camp employee Jim Watkins will be sharing Tajar tales and campfire songs. Those attending are encouraged to bring lawn chairs and fixings for s’mores.
Camp Kysoc was abandoned by the Cardinal Hill Healthcare System in late May. The camp operated as a summer residential camping facility for special needs individuals from 1960 through 2009.
When first opened, Camp Kysoc was considered to be a premiere camping facility for special needs children and the first of its kind in the nation.
During the years of operation, the facility served 27,500 children and adults with physical disabilities, involving more than 165,000 overnight camping experiences.
For more information, contact Sue Marsh (502) 732-4124, Tammy Richmond (502) 662-0305 or Kim Graves (502) 525-7331.