Season ends for CCMS boys

-A A +A
By Sharon Graves

The seventh- and eighth-grade boys basketball teams at Carroll County Middle School hosted their last game of the season, with the  Walton-Verona Bearcats as guests Wednesday night, Jan. 14.


Between games, the team members and their parents were honored.

The seventh grade team struggled in the first half of the game but got their feet under them near the end as they began to make some shots.

At the end of the first quarter, the Panthers were down 2-14. They managed to make four field goals in the second quarter, bringing the score to 10-23.  

Turnovers and an inability to hit shots were the main problems for the young Panthers; in the third quarter, they were only able to score four points.  

Defensive rebounding was another area that hurt the Panthers, but the shots started falling and the Panthers were able to score 15 points in the final period.  The Bearcats allowed the last seconds of the clock to tick off and left with a win, 29-43.  

During an intermission between games, the eighth-grade players, cheerleaders and stat keepers were honored with their parents, who each were presented with  a yellow rose as their names were announced to the crowd. The students met  parents mid-court, and received hugs, kisses and proud smiles.  

The eighth-grade game was almost the complete opposite of the earlier game.

The Panthers won the tip and scored the first eight points, holding the Bearcats were off of the board for about half of the first quarter.  

Trey Boles and Dillon Craig both had serious blocks in the first period that led to Panther control of the tempo of the game. At the end of the first quarter, the Panthers led, 13-6.  

In the first four minutes of the second period, the Bearcats were out-hustled by the Panthers and saw themselves fall further behind, unable to connect for a bucket.

The Panthers took a 28-10 lead into the locker room at the half.

The third quarter saw the Panthers slow down their shot production, but the Bearcats couldn’t capitalize. The third period ended 31-14.

The Panthers turned the ball over in the first two possessions of the final period and called a time out before a minute clicked off the clock.  

Even with the Panther problems, the Bearcats never really got on track. One Bearcat drained a three with 20 seconds left on the clock, but it wasn’t enough to wrestle the game from the Panthers, who won 37-25.

The eighth-graders ended the season 15-5. “I thought we had a great season,” said head coach Johnny Leep. “We were the NCKC champions and had several big wins on the road. This group of boys played well together all year, and everyone understood their role. That was the key to our success.”