Two arrests early Sunday, drugs involved

-A A +A
By Kristin Beck

Two Louisville residents were arrested after fleeing Carrollton police in the early morning hours of June 6 in downtown Carrollton.

William C. Taylor, 34, of Louisville, was charged with second degree fleeing or evading police; second degree assault of a police officer; first degree possession of a controlled substance; first degree trafficking of a controlled substance; and public intoxication.

Julia A. Burgess, 30, of Louisville, was charged with second degree fleeing or evading police; first degree possession of a controlled substance; and public intoxication.

Police received a call about a fight in progress at 2:40 a.m. at the 100 block of Fifth Street in front of Burgins Floor Covering, according to Chief Mike Willhoite. Carrollton Police Officer Daniel Embry and Constable Glenn Chatham responded to the scene. When they arrived, there was no active fighting.

While talking to a group of people on the sidewalk, Burgess allegedly attempted to flee the scene to the stairwells leading up to apartments on Fifth Street, Willhoite said. Chatham chased after her, with Taylor and Embry following. Burgess allegedly had a pill bottle in her hand, and Chatham attempted to take it from her. Taylor allegedly grabbed the bottle and attempted to flee down the set of steps. A scuffle ensued between Embry and Taylor, and Embry was allegedly knocked down the stairs, Willhoite said.

Taylor allegedly attempted to flee across the courthouse yard, when Embry chased and used a taser to subdue him, Willhoite said. Seven Oxycotin 80 mg tablets were recovered from the bottle, and $598 in cash was also found in Taylor’s possession, which is evidence of trafficking, Willhoite said.

Taylor was taken to Carroll County Memorial Hospital because he had ingested some narcotics, allegedly to keep the police from locating them, Willhoite said. Embry was also treated at CCMH with an injury to his left arm. However, he is back at work.

Willhoite said he believes Taylor has previous charges on his record, which may make him a persistent felony offender.

“Fortunately, we were able to remove him and his narcotics from our streets,” he said.

Willhoite also commended Chatham for his assistance in the case.

“The constable helped out tremendously in this incident,” he said.

When asked about Embry’s use of his taser in attempting to apprehend the subject, Willhoite said it was absolutely an appropriate response.

“(Taylor) tried to injury Officer Embry; he tried to flee with narcotics, so that is a very appropriate use of the taser,” he said.