.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Local News

  • Congratulations, Class of 2012!
  • ‘Puppets for Jesus’ gives message, music for youth

    By SARAH BEACH

    News-Democrat Intern

    First Apostolic Church in Carrollton has only one child who regularly attends. Life-long member Jim Foster is hoping that his puppet show will change that.

    “Puppets for Jesus” will take place at 2 p.m. on Sunday, June 3 at the First Apostolic Church on Third Street in Carrollton.

    The show is free to the public and features colorful puppets, flashing lights and up-beat songs.

  • About 9 percent voted in primary election

    By SARAH BEACH

    The News-Democrat Intern

    Election day is a breeze in Carroll County. 

    For the Democratic Presidential primary, Barack Obama received 258 votes, or 54.43 percent, with the remaining 216, or 45.57 percent voting uncomitted.

  • Carroll County Fiscal Court briefs - May 30, 2012

    County to seek $275,000 business expansion grant

    Carroll County Fiscal Court approved a resolution allowing Judge-Executive Harold “Shorty” Tomlinson to sign documents as the county seeks a $275,000 Community Development Block Grant. The funds would be used as a loan to pay for a rail spur for the expansion of DRC Industries in the former Parthenon property.

  • Art show opening
  • Totally Tractors

     Pioneer Power Tractor Club celebrated the heritage of farming at its 10th annual show in Carrollton Saturday, May 12. The three-day family event puts the spotlight on antique tractors, but also features family fun, music, demostrations and farm animals

  • Worthville receives $8,105 crumb rubber grant for city’s playground

    The City of Worthville has been awarded a 2012 Waste Tire Crumb Rubber grant in the amount of $8,105 to provide a protective, safe surface for its municipal park playground. The total project will cost $12,680 with the City providing a $4,575 match in cash and in-kind services.

    The grant was awarded by the Kentucky Energy and Environment Cabinet on a 75/25 matching basis.

  • Grobmeier remains a Carrollton girl after 103 years

     As Sophia Patrillo would say on the hit TV show  The Golden Girls, “Picture it, Hunter’s Bottom in Carroll County, Ky.”

    The date was Jan. 19, 1909, and the air was frigid and a deep snow blanketed the ground. There in a modest farmer’s home was born a daughter, Anna Frances Taylor Grobmeier, to proud parents Arthur Creed and Katherine Matthews Taylor.

  • Three Rivers Gun Club hosts shoot on June 3

    Three Rivers Gun Club, 3041 Hwy 55 in Carrollton is sponsoring a Shotgun Shoot, (50 clay targets), Sunday, June 3, 2012, starting at 2 p.m. Cost is $15 for 50 targets or Three River Member cost is $10. Tied score at end of regulation 50 targets will result in a 10 shot shoot off to determine the winners. Prizes: high shooter gets return of entry fee or $1 for each shooter whichever is greater. For more information contact Derrick Willis at (502) 525-8724 or Cody Human at (502) 377-6451. Everyone welcome, please park across road from range.

  • Shelby Energy plans annual meeting June 22 as two vie for local seat on the co-op’s board

     Shelby Energy customers are encouraged to attend the electric cooperative’s 75th annual meeting on Friday, June 22, at the Henry County High School in New Castle.

    Cooperatives are unique businesses organized to provide a needed product or service based on the nonprofit principal. There are no stockholders in an electric cooperative. After all expenses have been paid, any remaining money is returned to the customers as capital credits.