.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Local News

  • Audit shows city with increased assets due to projects

    The city of Carrollton and Carrollton Utilities both saw their assets increase last year, according to the fiscal year 2011 audit presented Monday night.

    Raisor, Zapp & Woods, P.S.C. performed the city of Carrollton’s annual audit. The report separated Carrollton Utilities from the rest of the city.

    The city’s total assets are a little more than $58.5 million, while its total liabilities are roughly $12.2 million, for a total of about $46.2 million in net assets. This is up from the 2009-2010 fiscal year of roughly $38.6 million.

  • Home Heater Safety

    As the effects of winter are finally being felt in our area, the Carrollton Fire Department would like to remind area residents of the dangers of improper use of portable heaters.

    Kerosene heaters or electric heaters powered by gasoline generators have the ability to cause carbon monoxide poisoning if placed in or near the home or garage. Please be mindful and place them far away from your home in a well-ventilated area.

  • Carroll County Fiscal Court briefs - Jan. 11, 2012

    Fiscal court accepts engineering services proposal

  • Subway’s new C’ton location to offer space for meetings

    Another new “face” coming to the downtown Carrollton business district is actually a very familiar one.

    Subway is preparing to open its second Carrollton sub shop at Park Lanes Shopping Center in the former Movie Gallery location.

    Rita Wallace, manager of the Subway on Floyd Drive next to Quick Lane, said the new location is scheduled to open Wednesday, Jan. 18.

  • Sonic readies to re-open

    Sonic Drive-In soon will return to Carrollton.

    The fast-food restaurant, known for its car-hop service and outside seating, will re-open at the same location on Jay Louden Road in front of TraderBaker’s, off Hwy. 227, according to manager Roy York.

    York said the store was one of six in Northern Kentucky owned by the Hall’s Group; all six stores were purchased by the Irons Group, which owns and operates 100 Sonic locations and 100 Church’s Chicken restaurants from Northern Kentucky to South Carolina.

  • Lose & Associates eyes funding for Point Park projects

    President Emeritus David Lose of Lose & Associates presented Carrollton City Council with two opportunities to receive funding for the Point Park project, including the River Walk.

  • A WALK IN THE PARK
  • Wi-fi system not working; city considers other options

    The current citywide Wi-Fi program does not work, Mayor Gene McMurry reported to Carrollton City Council Monday.

    Dave Barker with Broadlinc Communications LLC tested the six existing access points for Internet set up around Carrollton Monday with the mayor. He found two were sending a signal but had no Internet access, while the other four were allowing data traffic flow ranging from 200 kbps to 1.5 mbps, according to a letter from Barker to McMurry that he shared with council.

  • Veteran sign relocated

    With the war in Iraq ending, Judge-Executive Harold “Shorty” Tomlinson said he has made arrangements to move the wooden veterans sign from the courthouse square to the National Guard Armory. It will be anchored to the wall, and people can still go out and look at it.

    In the past, Tomlinson had expressed interest in putting a sign on I-71 recognizing the Veterans Memorial at General Butler State Resort Park. However, he found out the sign would cost $30,000, so he is looking at other options for signage.

  • Investigation finds faulty flue led to CO levels in Welch home

    Officials have determined a faulty flue led to a buildup of carbon monoxide that caused the Dec. 18 death of 57-year-old Evelyn Welch.

    Carroll County Coroner David Wilhoite said the flue was found to be clogged when it was taken apart during the investigation into the cause of Welch’s death. Officials found deterioration of the flue — a vent pipe in an old chimney in the house that ran from the gas boiler that was used to heat the house, he said.