Trailer ‘total loss’ in fire

-A A +A
By Kristin Beck

A trailer in Happy Hollow was destroyed after a fire spread from the fireplace and into the ceiling Monday, Feb. 11.

Worthville Volunteer Fire Department and Ghent Fire Protection District responded to a call at 9:59 p.m. to 301 Larry Court in Happy Hollow.

Owner Mike Plew was home at the time of the fire, Worthville Fire Chief Ernie Courtney said. Worthville arrived on scene at 10:13 p.m., and the fire chief said the fire was fully involved when they arrived. The trailer was “a total loss,” Courtney said.

Courtney said the fire started in the fireplace in the back right-hand side of the trailer. It spread into the attic, across to the left-hand side and through the ceiling, he said.

The homeowners were not injured in the fire. However, Worthville Assistant Chief Garland Breeden was transported by Carroll County EMS to Carroll County Memorial Hospital for high blood pressure. He was treated and released, Courtney said.

GFPD responded via mutual aid with Worthville. Courtney said he also requested tankers from Westside Volunteer Fire Department and New Liberty Fire Department.

Carroll County Sheriff’s Office Deputy Clay Cable also was on scene. Two Carrollton Fire Department firefighters also assisted.

Firefighters left the scene at 2:15 a.m. Tuesday.

Later that day, Worthville  firefighters returned to the scene at 11:10 a.m. to extinguish some hot spots on the trailer and left at 11:24 a.m.